Unsaturated fats are the most beneficial for our body, since our body is in charge of processing them and obtaining the nutrients it needs.
Many people believe that this is impossible. When we talk about fats, we always think that they have a negative effect on our body. But this is a huge mistake. Eliminating fats completely from our diet is never a good idea , since you must eat good fats daily.
Fats are one of the basic nutrients in the diet. Some foods contain healthy fats, while others have fats that are harmful to our health.
Our body requires the necessary nutrients to function to the maximum, among which are good fats. To maintain good health we must eat the proper fats daily.
Among fats, as noted in a Mayo Clinic article, we find unhealthy ( saturated and trans) and healthy fats (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and omega 3). Some studies indicate that the intake of mono and polyunsaturated fats would help reduce cholesterol levels in the blood.
The reality is that fats are essential for the proper functioning of the body, being at the same level as carbohydrates and proteins. The drawback is that, many times, the current diet does not cover the need for good fats, being abundant in the harmful ones.
The important thing is to know what are the fats favorable to our health and see what fats we consume daily.
What are fats for?
- They would stimulate the body to properly process vitamins (A, D, E, K). A study specifically suggests it would aid in vitamin D assimilation.
- They provide essential fatty acids that would help growth, especially in children.
- They are basic “gasoline” for our body.
What are good fats?
They are those that are not processed or transformed . Thus, our body can process them and get the nutrients it needs. They are what we call unsaturated fats.
Ideas to correctly decide which fats to eat
A Harvard article points out that these selection criteria for fat intake must be taken into account:
- First, control your saturated fat intake as much as possible. The saturated ones are those that come from animal sources such as dairy products and fatty meat.
- Second, choose polyunsaturated fats and try to eat foods rich in fatty acids. The omega – 3 found in fish oils (blue and cold water). As well as in whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. Omega-6 fatty acids are present in sesame, sunflower seeds and in vegetable oils. In addition, in the wheat germ, in the avocado (avocado) and in some nuts.
- Finally, try to minimize the consumption of fast and processed foods .
Some foods that contain good fats
Some of the foods that contain fatty acids good for our health are most of the oils. That is, linseed oil, olive oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, etc.
They can also be found in nuts such as cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. Other foods with good fats are avocados, fish, and shellfish.
Finally, another thing to keep in mind is that when cooking them we can reduce or even destroy the quantity and effectiveness of these fats. Therefore, whenever possible, it is interesting to eat these raw foods.
Fat intake is decisive for optimal body function. However, when choosing them, it is best to opt for the so-called “good fats”, which provide important health benefits.
Ensuring its consumption helps maintain an optimal energy level and, in addition, would prevent some diseases (for example, omega 3 would have a protective effect for the heart ). In addition, they are contained in foods that are usually very healthy and rich in nutrients. Include them in your diet!