The best way to take advantage of the benefits of onion is to consume it raw. In this way, it would help improve digestion, for example.

One of the essential foods in the kitchen is onion.  We can practically take it and cook it in all possible ways and it serves to flavor any dish.

But, in addition to its culinary properties, the nutritional and even medicinal properties of onion make it a highly recommended food.

Onion Nutrients

According to studies, the main component of onion, by far, is water, as it accounts for 90% of its composition. Therefore, it is surprising that in the remaining 10% we find the following nutrients:

  • Essential oils : responsible for most of the properties of the onion that we will discuss later, although they are also guilty of the annoying tearing we suffer when we peel it.
  • Vitamins of group B : necessary for the proper functioning of the nervous and immune systems.
  • Vitamins E and C : with antioxidant action that play an important role in the prevention of cellular aging and degenerative diseases.
  • Multiple minerals and trace elements : the onion is rich in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, sodium and sulfur, among others.
  • Essential amino acids : a deficiency of this nutrient could cause fatigue, stress and dizziness.
  • Fiber : the onion has fiber that would help improve our digestive system, promoting the intake of nutrients and the elimination of waste.

Despite the fact that onion is considered an additional element to add flavor to certain foods, the truth is that many people do without it without knowing how beneficial it is to include it in a balanced diet.

We can include it in salads, we can also consume it raw or cooked and it can add a lot of flavor to certain foods such as the Spanish omelette.

Onion properties

Diuretic action

One of the properties attributed to onion from natural medicine is its diuretic action, so it would be recommended in patients with kidney failure, gout or hyperuricemia, kidney stones, edema or hypertension.

Due to its diuretic effect, but also due to its high content of water and fiber and low in fats and sugars, its inclusion in the diet would be recommended.

Expectorant, bactericide and fungicide

It would have expectorant action, as well as bactericidal and fungicidal . In fact, one study noted that three different classes of onion would act to inhibit bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus or Escherichia coli. For this reason, it would be useful in processes such as colds, colds, bronchitis, pharyngitis and other respiratory conditions.

A recommended remedy from ancient times is to place an onion cut in half next to the bed at night. On the other hand, some studies indicate that the flavonoids present in onion would have anti-asthmatic effects.

Cardioprotector

In addition to all of the above, this food would be an interesting cardioprotector thanks to its antithrombotic property .

Also animal research suggests that it would be lipid-lowering (this is the ability to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels) and hypotensive, provided that it is consumed regularly.

chopped onions

Purifying action

The famous purifying action attributed to onion is due to the oligofructose present in it, a type of soluble fiber that would promote the growth of good bacteria in the intestine according to data from Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology .

Onion contraindications

Despite the onion’s properties, there would be some cases where it might not sit well. For example, if we have a delicate stomach, it could be recommended to moderate its consumption .

Likewise, if we tend to suffer reflux, heartburn or have been diagnosed with a kidney problem, we should also be careful with consuming it in excess since it would be an irritating food that could cause a lot of burning due to its amount of sulfur.

If we suffer some of the mentioned problems, it is important that we consult with our doctor in what way we could consume this food without causing us problems.

We advise you to try new recipes with this product and to start including it more frequently in your diet. Are you one of the people who avoid onion in their meals? Or do you use it for almost everything?

0Shares
0